Sunday, January 30, 2011

A second look

I had some things up on my design wall for inspiration and I looked at this for almost a week. I thought it didn't seem as great as I remembered it. I still liked it but not as much as I did when I bought it. I was auditioning fabric to go with it and I noticed a signature (the white marking on between the giraffe's feet). I realized that  I couldn't read it because it was BACKWARD.
Here it is below turned to right side with a strip of the fabric I am thinking about using with it. I like it much better on this side.
 I often use the wrong side of the fabric on purpose because it is a better fit in terms of value but this is not one of those times. When I bought this panel I found the batik shown here with it. There were only 2 fat quarters and I bought both of them. I still need to get something else to go with it but I can wait another day or so before I jump in and start something. I think maybe a deep gold like the background would be a good start. I had these two fabrics put away with some other batiks but none of them are what I think looks right today. I think I didn't do anything with this when I bought it because I was afraid to ruin it. 
 I fall into that trap a lot.
I was afraid to finish up my heart and home quilt because I thought I might mess up the free motion quilting on the heart part. I don't think I have ever really ruined a quilt with the quilting and afterward I tell myself I will not be worried next time. I am not going to win any awards with my free motion quilting but I am please with the result.


Here is a closeup of the quilting. Maybe you can see it if you click on the photo.The quilting on the light background is just plain wavy lines.

I am going to hang this little quilt on our apartment front door for February. It is time to put the snowmen away. I have heard that you really have to watch the snowmen; when no one is looking they get together and do the snow dance and that is what brings all the snow. I'm not sure that is true but I am not taking any chances. I  have had ENOUGH snow.

No comments: