Monday, June 13, 2011

Long time no post

I just realized how long it has been since I had anything to say. Not having anything worthwhile to say doesn't usually stop me so I guess it must be that I had no photos to post.
Our little group at church has been getting ready for quilt camp. We cut up a lot of donated fabric into 2 1/2 inch strips and let the kids pick there own fabric strips. A lot of our donated fabric just appears in our closet and we now not from where it came. Much of it is older fabric and not current colors or designs but still good fabric. Of course it is not color/value coordinated and there are more small prints than anything else. The good thing is it is FREE. This is the quilt the kids will be making. This one was made from a Jelly Roll. After the kids were all finished picking their fabric I picked out a bunch of strips using the pattern suggestions as a guide. I decided  I better make this one myself if I am  going to help someone else make it.  I picked out red/pink, blue, and white/light. The dark blue horizontal strips in each block, that are supposed to coordinate everything, are from my stash. We are having the teens buy that coordinating fabric themselves.
This is what I have so far; it is still  in thee parts. No matter how much I work with scrappy blocks and move things around I always end up with some things that are closer together than what I  intended. I guess when I concentrate on one fabric something else I am not paying attention to gets moved also.  I am  going to use the blue fabric for the inner border as well and then a piano keys 4 inch outer border.
I cut my strips sets into 7 1/2 inch segments instead of 91/2 as the pattern calls for. Some of the strips were not long enough to get 2 - 9 1/2 inch sections. I think I like the shorter sections better and I can get 4 1/2 inch sections for the border from some of the strips sets. I  think the hard part for the kids will be deciding on which strips to sew together and then arranging the sections will probably take a long time. It should be an interesting week and there are always surprizes.

The other thing I have been doing is doodling. I want to make one or two more small pieces before our play day in July. This particular shape/doodle has caught my interest. I  think the "pods" are called mooka? of course they look different when drawn in order to interpret in them fabric. Some of the background stuff is not what I intend to put in my piece but just there to practice drawing a small shape. I think the main shape looks like an iris.  I decided  to add some color to this  other drawing. I  am lazy and don't really like coloring inside the lines with colored pencils and my markers are drying up. I guess it is time for new markers. I'm sure the great grand kids will agree; they seem to think the markers are for them. Well........ I guess I really did buy them for the GGK's  to use

No comments: