One more day to go and I think that everyone will finish or come close. there are 2 that have finished and one that is quilting her quilt some that are at the tying stage and a few that are still attaching borders. some of our adult helpers had to miss a day or two and it slowed us down a little. We thought we had it all covered ahead of time with an extra person but life happens; overall things have gone well.
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Friday, June 17, 2011
Thursday, June 2, 2011
After I stitched some of the elements down I covered the whole thing with tulle and quilted it. This is the first time I have covered a piece with tulle and because it was inexpensive I found 5 different colors to experiment. I ended up using navy tulle. I used the tulle because of the small fused pieces that were too small to stitch around. The tulle doesn't change the color but it did darken everything a little. I think maybe I won't use it when I make the bigger piece.
I used a facing instead of a binding and finished it on the back by hand. After everything else was finished I added the felt buttons/flowers. I suppose they are buttons because there are button holes in them but I don't know that they would make very practical buttons.
The flowers were probably the hardest to sew. I sewed them on by hand with lime green perle cotton. I sewed through the button holes and then one stitch at the end of each petal. I did it so the perle cotton did not show on the back and it was difficult to pull the needle through.
All in all it was a good learning experience. I think it looks a lot like the same technique as my blog banner quilt. It some ways doing the drawing was similar. It was easier doing the doodling as the zen tangle shapes are repetitive. For me this was different than using printed fabric because that is where my inspiration has always originated.
In July a group of us a going to get together and just have a play day with this. It will be fun to see what everyone does.