Thursday, February 16, 2012

I meant to make some valentines but then I had some problems with vertigo and I never got around to them. I still had some ideas in my head that I wanted to play with and I wanted to do something with some color.

I got out my box of solid fabrics and ironed an 8 inch square onto some freezer paper and started to draw. I never really intended to do anything other than experiment with drawing on colored fabric and I just got carried away and doodled all around the edge and the inside. Hmm... I wonder what it would look like if I layered  it up and quilted it with red thread; just a few of the straighter lines to see how the red  thread looks. Well that didn't tell me much; lets see what a little more stitching looks like.  And here we have it. Now if I had planned ahead I would not have made all  those tiny hearts to stitch around the outside edge in fact, all of those little hearts were a real pain to stitch. But, you know, I like it. Was it fun to do? Actually, it was, kind of.  The red on pink leaves something to be desired, it needs some white and maybe a little sparkle. I should do something with those little unconnected dots and the unstitched hearts on some of the lines. When you work with black and white leaving tiny elements unstitched works better because the ink  is the same color as the thread.  I am not so red hot at french knots, I tried it and took them all out. Maybe a few beads would work although I know from experience that the term "not so red hot" doesn't even begin to apply to my skill at beading. Maybe I will just leave this as it is and move on to the next experiment. Not every experiment has to turn out to be something.

2 comments:

kathyf said...

I love how what you regard as not so hot is so much better than anything I could even dream of doing.
Glad you are feeling better.
K

Heidi Grohs said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! It would be lovely as a simple "mug rug"!!