Sunday, February 19, 2012

T shirt quilt

It has probably been at least 2 years since my grandson picked out some of his T shirts to put in a quilt. About a year ago I decided it was time to reduce the bulk so they did not take up so much room in the closet. This past week I bought 10 yards of lightweight interfacing and decided that it was about time to make the quilt. I am thinking it would have been more meaningful to make it right away when I got the T shirts.
 This is my first T shirt quilt and I think I would opt for more uniform sizes if I ever do this again. Of course, that would not always be easy as the person choosing the shirts would most likely want all different sizes of the (artwork?).

Right now I am putting the long vertical rows together and to make them all the same length I will adjust the width of the top and bottom sashing strips to acheive that. The rest of the sashing is 2 1/2 inches. The easiest place I can lay them all out is on my bed and that has disturbed Jack on his computer; I have to squeeze past him to get to the other side of the bed. He really is pretty good natured about it but every time he looks annoyed I get a bit irritated.  Poor Jack, if I perceive that he is annoyed with me I get grumpy.
There will be 4 vertical  rows which I plan to quilt in sections.
I found this  multicolor stripe with a brown background. This quilt needs some color and I almost bought a very colorful splashy print but changed my mind at the last minute and opted for this more conservative stripe. I had originally planned to cut the long vertical sashing strips and the side borders on the lengthwise grain so the stripes would run lengthwise but when I tried it with the stripes the other way I changed my mind.
Some things really do need to be completed in a timely manner; I  am not sure he even cares about this anymore. I will finish it anyway and I know that if he isn't exactly thrilled about it he will  never let me know.

No comments: