Thursday, April 26, 2012

It was one of those days when I thought I had nothing going on; for a nothing going on day it sure sped by fast.

After a few phone calls this morning I played a bit with Bonnie Hunter's tutorial on Spider Web blocks and got as far as making the template for the kite shaped patches and cut some foundations papers. That was as far as I got before we went to the Y. After the Y, since we had nothing to do, we stopped by the arboretum just in case something new was blooming. Then we took a little detour and ended up near one of our local quilt shops. I said if I had my purse I could stop so Jack gave me his Visa card. He said of it is not OK to sign my name come and get me from the coffee shop. (I signed his name).
This is what I came home with. I don't often buy patterns because I always either don't use them at all or I change them. I am going to make this set of place mats according to the pattern. I don't have time to fuss around figuring out measurements etc. These will be for my granddaughter. She moved into an apartment just across the street from us and she said last night that our apartment was so cosy unlike hers. She doesn't have much except furniture and window coverings and she said it doesn't feel like her own place. I thought these would be quick and easy and nice and bright. I haven't  decided which of the five fabrics I will omit as the pattern only uses 4.

This is what I did after dinner today. It is one Spider Web block. These are the same scraps I had out a few weeks ago when I made some blocks for the Converging Corners quilt. I made just as big a mess today as I did then. I am just going to have to get over worrying about the mess I make.  I really don't have time to be  playing with this now but I can justify it because there are circles (of sorts) when they are set block to block. I guess one circle is never enough. I do have some other things I need to get done  so I  am going to make one block every other day. They are 10 inch blocks and I think I have enough of the yellow "kite" fabric for 12 to 16 blocks. There is no hurry to finish this. 

1 comment:

JoQuilter said...

I really like your spider web block colors. I wish I were making them but I am stuck in a rut working on old UFO's and I am going to keep my nose to the grindstone, but your spider block is so tempting.