Friday, August 2, 2013

So So

I have been stitching up some checkerboard blocks with my old hand dyed fabric strips and while I don't hate them they are really just "so so". I really do prefer printed fabric to solid. About half of the fabrics are mottled and the other half is pretty much uniform and I think I would like it better if they were all mottled.

When I cut the strips I was thinking 2 inch squares and I cut the strips 2 inches wide. I went along thinking 8 inch blocks and when I got the first few sewed together I could see they were not 8 1/2 inches but 6 1/2 inch. Don't ask me why I  did that. Any question that begins with "why did you" is an unacceptable question and any question I can't answer makes me crabby.



I remember I did this once before when I made a queen size quilt for my daughter and cut my strips 1 1/2 inches instead of 2 inches and ended up with 3 inch instead of 4 1/2 inch 9 patch blocks. I had to make a lot more blocks than I had intended. I do not intend to make a lot more blocks than I  intended this time. As a matter of fact, I have no specific intentions for these blocks but I will make a few more before I move on to something else.

I think there is something wrong with me that I can't just throw these strips away or put them in the dog bed bag. when I thought they were gone I was perfectly content with that but when they turned up again in my closet I started thinking I should do something with them. I would not have the courage to pass them along as a prize in the next annual Jellyroll Race.  I might get banned from the Basement Divas.

No comments: