Friday, April 4, 2014

A Finish

I finished my little 24 inch square table topper today. I had the  machine quilting and the binding done a few days ago but I couldn't decide how to quilt the four 4 inch plain light squares.  In the end I "big stitch"  hand quilted it with 2 stands of hot pink and 1 strand of yellow embroidery floss. After I decided to hand quilt it I agonized over how to mark it (I always have to agonize over something). I wanted my petals to be even and when I practiced drawing them on paper they looked pretty bad. I used EQ to draw one petal and used the  EQ Wreathmaker  tool to get the 5 petals even. I printed it and cut it out and traced it onto a piece of pressure sensitive label paper and cut that out for a tracing template that would stick in place while I traced. I used a "Sewline" water erasable marking pen to trace around the template. I love that pen and am so happy someone told me about it. I had tested it to make sure the marks would come out and then pressed the test area with a hot iron and no marks came back.


I Quilted in the ditch around the blocks and around the squares in the blocks  centers and also in the  ditch around all the patches in the made fabric center squares. I used 2 rows of stitching with the #4 Bernina stitch in the all of the sashings.
I had cut some  striped fabric for the binding but it just didn't look right. With no border on a small piece it seemed to need a fabric that was already there. So, I pieced together some  strips of the yellow for the binding and it looks just right to me.

I think that this little piece has a 30's look although there is no 30's fabric in it anywhere.

4 comments:

tubakk said...

So cute! Love your quilting.

LynneP said...

Darling!

kathyf said...

I love it but think it favors the late 60's early 70's Flower Power.

Lori said...

Really pretty!