So........ I made a small quilt today for the sewing chair. I found and old cheater panel and layered it up and did some quilting around the cat and flowers and border, just enough to hold the layers together. I used Bernina #4 serpentine stitch close to the edge and trimmed it leaving the batting exposed. If it doesn't hold up after washing I will stitch over the edge again.
I considered piecing 2 smallish quilts one for the couch and one for my lap when she sits there, something that can be more easily washed. Instead, I am going to cut up the quilt that is on the couch and make smaller ones. It is an old quilt that has seen a lot of use and it has worn places. It is one that I made from block swap blocks and while I have always liked, it it holds no sentimental value. It is still colorful and kitty seems to like it so I think that it is a good use for it.
I picked her up to put her quilt on the chair and here she is, thinking it over. I thought maybe she would be unhappy with being disturbed but she seemed to accept it OK. She used to be a cranky cat but in her old age (almost 14) she is really sweet.