Saturday, March 3, 2018

Lake Farmpark Quilt Show

I went to the local quilt show with quilting friends yesterday. The weather looked iffy the night before with a big winter storm but the sun was shining when I got up in the morning and we were able to get to the show. I have only seen these friends once since we moved in October so it was good to see them and see the quilt show with them.

It was a nice show with a lot of interesting quilts with a wide variety of styles. Some years there have been many quilts using the same techniques or patterns. While they were beautiful and well done the wider variety makes a more interesting show. Sorry, no photos, I was too busy looking and talking.

This is vendors week end and though I restrained myself to only a few purchases I think the vendors were outstanding this year.

I did  buy a Robert Kaufman panel from  the Gustav Klimt line. The Polka Dot Pincushion quilt shop had a quilt sample with the panel that spoke my language. It is from Klimt's "Tree of Life" painting. I didn't take a photo of the quilt because I didn't want to be overly influenced and end up making a copy.
I came home and put it up where I can look at it and the ideas are swirling around in my head. I'm not in a  hurry because I want to put this on a wall just inside my front door and I need to give it some thought.






















So, while my creative juices were starting to flow, I spotted something I came across when I was putting things away after my scrap sorting project. I found these Dresden Rings in my "Odd Blocks" box.  I think they were leftovers from the Basement Diva's circle challenge. I saw something on Melissa Corey's Happy Quilting blog and started this but never got around to doing anything more. The 2 complete rings and the half ring were sewed together and there were more wedges and I made 2 quarter wedges.  My yellow scraps came in handy to make one more wedge to replace one that was way too skinny to use but just the right fabric. This is similar to the layout I will use but I need to cut the background base and arrange things so they are balanced better than this.





I feel as though my creative self has been absent for a while. Too much time spent at home because of bad weather and short daylight hours. After getting out to the quilt show and visiting all the vendors and spending time with friends I feel revitalized. I hope it lasts.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Ruthie! What a great panel that is! I love it. I can see why it spoke your language. I speak the same language. LOL. Your Dresden rings just scream Spring. Very pretty.

Lori said...

Love the panel, Ruth. Glad you are feeling inspired. The Dresden rings make me want to pull out my Playtime rings. They are on my list of UFOs to get done this year.