Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Getting it done

I am finally getting around to layering the sections of a quilt that I started over a year ago. I am teaching a Quilting In Sections class
for my guild next month and I need to get this to the point where I can use it to demo. The big hold up was getting the sashing and the border strips cut and then the backing. I went back and bought more of the striped fabric because I decided to put it on some of the back sections also. Then I discovered that the backing fabric that I needed was not going to work the way I wanted because I had cut 2 pieces from the fabric at opposite ends on opposite sides. This is not the first time I have done this kind of thing. I finally worked it all out after walking away from it several times.
These are the two right and left side sections all layered up and ready to quilt ,the backing is the same striped fabric.              
This picture shows one of the inside braids and sashing laying on the backing fabric for the inner sections.












The quilt below is a quilt that I made earlier as a class sample and it isthe kind of fabric that I am having fun working with right now. The sections between the braids are not pieced, it is a funky striped fabric that made it so easy to put it all together and quilt.


As I tried to work out how I wanted to make the best use of what I had decided to use for the back I kept becoming distracted.  I moved all the furniture again in my sewing room, I gave the fabric weaving a try, I finsished a community quilts top and I worked on writing some instructions for our stockpile of baby quilt blocks for our group at church. If we teach new quilters to make simple blocks and if everyone in the group makes blocks we can make a baby quilt or quilts quickly when we need them. This sounds good in theory anyway.

These blocks are ones that I made while I was writing the instructions. I also made up about 20 kits to make three blocks each from the same 2 fabrics.
When I got done with that I cleaned up the mess and I knew what to do to cut the backs for the sections of the braid quilt. I guess a part of my mind was working on that while I was doing something else. I love when that happens.

No comments: