Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Weaving



This morning I was putting some stuff away in my sewing room and I picked up a denim skirt that needed new elastic in the waistband. I decided that I did not want to bother with doing that so I cut it up. What to do with it? I didn't want to throw it away, I could have done that without cutting it up. I looked around for some more denim and found a piece of something that is the weight of denim but different.  It contrasts with the denim so it is right.
For a long time I have been wanting to try weaving fused fabrics together. I bought a book last year  "Simply Stunning Woven Quilts" by Anna Faustino. I was so excited about trying the technique I could hardly wait to get started. I bought some great fabric but couldn't find anything I wanted to weave it with.  I bought fabric 3 or 4 times and never used any of it for one reason or another.

This morning it struck me that the denim would be a good choice to start my learning experience. The fabric was "free" not $25 a yard so if I messed it up I wouldn't be upset.

This picture shows my progress with the 2 pieces of denim fabric I am weaving together. I have 2 more strips to weave and then I will fuse it. I am working on a flannel covered piece of foam core that I use for a small design board. The directions in the book say to fuse it to batting but I don't want batting so I am fusing it to a piece of blue print fabric so I won't have to make a lining. I am going to stitch all of the edges with a narrow zigzzag.              I want to make a small bag that I can use for my wallet, keys and cell phone and not much more.  I will show my progress as I go along. I have already learned a few things that have shown me I was right to start with something other than "wonderful fabric".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing.k

Anonymous said...

Hey Ruth,
Can't wait to see what you do with this project.
L