Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Busy sewing blocks

I have been busy sewing for a few days. I decided to clean out a basket on my shelf and there were some blocks cut and bagged. So instead my way of cleaning was to sew them up. I had these cut out last fall and put them aside. After I got the blocks done I  caught sight of that striped fabric in a see through box on my shelf and it looked to me like it was just asking to be the border and sashing. There were a few more that I finished but no pics of those. I have a stack of Quails Nest blocks from my Friendship block swap group. I looked them over and will be getting back to them soon.
I had cut a few in quarters and rearranged them and I have a plan for them too but the rest will go into a quilt.
I played with the slice and rearranged Quails nest block in EQ. I eliminated some lines and  tweaked it a little and entered it in the Accuquilt Barn Block contest. I found out today that I am one of the 100 finalists. http://www.accuquilt.com/barnquilt-top100 . You can see all the final 100 blocks here. This is my block below. Don't you think it would look good on a barn? It would be nice and simple to paint.
  
I have also been working on blocks for the collaborative quilt our  Saturday  Sewing in the basement  loosely organized quilting group is working on. Our assignment was one 12 1/2 inch, two 9 1/2 ,two 6 1/2  and two 3 1/2 inch blocks. We could make any bright fabric blocks that we wanted in those sizes and as many 3 1/2 inch blocks as we wanted. I am going to make a bunch more 3 1/2 inch blocks because they go fast, they use up small scraps and they are CUTE. 
 Speaking of cute, do you notice that small broken dishes block in the lower right? That little block measures 3 inches.  There were all these little cut off corner triangles laying on my table and I sewed them together just because they were there. I didn't work at making it precise but much to my surprise, it came pretty close.  I do not plan on making any more of these. One was fun, any more that that would give me a headache.

No comments: