This is the quilt I am submitting to the Bloggers Quilt Festival at Amys Creative Side. Be sure to check out all of the great quilts, either click the link here of the button on the sidebar It was made entirely from squares cut from scraps in my stash. It is 60 x 72 inches and I quilted it in 5 sections, a center section that was 3 blocks by 4 blocks with pieced sashing and cornerstones between the blocks. I sewed the sections together by stitching the seams on the top of the quilt, trimming out the batting and hand stitching the seams on the backing. Almost all of the fabric is floral. I had a very large assortment of floral fabric from the time I made colorwash/watercolor quilts.
Front of quilt
Top Front Section
Center Front Section
Back of Quilt.
When I got the center section of the top sewed together I decided that it was a little too busy for the whole quilt. Because the sashing and cornerstones were pieced, the block itself got lost. For the rest of the quilt I used one of my favorite pink and yellow floral fabrics for the sashing.The non pieced sashing around the outside blocks formed a built in border. The block itself was a secondary pattern that showed up in another quilt (my big UFO) and I added connector corner triangles to the block. I can't claim that I designed the block but I used what I saw and tweaked what was there
A few years ago I made my first attempt at organizing my scraps. I had them all stuffed into large popcorn cans and whenever I wanted to use something from them it was almost impossible to find what I wanted. I spent about 2 weeks cutting everything in those cans as well as some smallish pieces in my stash, into strips and squares. When I could cut strips at least 12 inches long, I cut 1 1/2 or 2 inch strips and the rest I cut into squares from 2 inches to 6 inches in increments of 1/2 inch. I cut whatever I could get from any piece of fabric in the assortment and organized them in boxes by size. I worked with those scraps for a while and determined all the different things I could do with the different sizes and what sizes were the most useful to cut. Eventually I taught a class on using scrappy squares of fabric and I used the block from this quilt for a table runner class.