Monday, July 25, 2011

New look but old quilt

 I decided I need a new look but I don't have a new quilt that I want to look at every time I open my blog page.

 Here is a photo of the whole quilt, front and back.This is one of my favorite quilts. It is all scrappy except for the sashing. I had cut squares of various sizes from all of my scraps that were stuffed into large popcorn cans and pretty much unusable in the mess they were in. I ended up with  about six boxes of squares in increments of 1/2 inch and sizes from 2 1/2 inches to 6 inches. This was one of the early quilts I made from those squares; the block was not so much my own design as it was inspired by a secondary pattern that came together in another quilt. This was also one of the first few quilts that I quilted in sections. First I quilted the center and then made the borders from sashed blocks and quilted them and added them around the outside. I think I  added the prairie points before I added the borders to the body of the quilt.

 I like the scrappiness of it, all the floral fabrics, the yellow and pink in the sashing, the prairie points, and the pieced back.  This is my kind of traditional quilt.

I ran out of thread that I need for my iris but I will get back to that tomorrow. Maybe today I will work on a new traditional quilt.

No comments: