Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Zentangle Addiction

It was pointed out to me that the Zentangle® name is a registered trademark and I was concerned enough to remove it from all my posts, however, I visited the Zentangle® legal  page and found that it is OK to say my work has been inspired by the Zentangle® art form.
 The Zentangle® art form and method was created by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas and is copyrighted. Zentangle® is a registered trademark of Zentangle, Inc. Learn more at zentangle.com.
I think I have a Zentangle addiction. I have been doodling on every piece of paper that is on my desk. An idea pops into my head and I have to put it on paper. I have been trying for 2 days to put things away in my sewing room but I sort through some papers and find something I want to sketch or a sketch I want to improve.
Today I traced one doodle/sketch onto release  paper and then I ironed it very lightly onto a piece of fabric with fusible web on the back and and yesss!!! the design did  transfer to the back of the fused fabric. I cut it out and fused it to a square of light lime green fabric.
Here is the original sketch and the fused  piece. I think it looks like an iris. I am at that point where I am eager to begin to do some stitching on it and yet I am hesitant to start because I don't want to  mess it up.







I am also ready to to scan my sketch of my right hand and print it on fabric. I will then trace over the lines with a black Pigma pen and quilt it. I think I will  fix that  dark area on the thumb first. I like printing it on fabric and then tracing the lines. For one thing, if I really mess it up I can print another one and start over. It is also kind of like coloring in a coloring book. I just have to stay within on the lines. I  figure it is not cheating since the original drawing is my own.


I plan to do my fish the same way. On the left is my first fish. I liked it until  I realized the fin on the side looked more like a birds  wing than a fish part. The one on the right is better but not sure I like it well enough to make it in fabric. I have a few more fish but they are all pretty similar. I think I am fooling around with the hands and fish so I can avoid admitting I am reluctant  to work  on the iris and on the bigger one that I made the sketch and pattern for. I guess I will do the hand and see what I want to do next.
Laura Wasilowski  posted today on her blog how to do a wrapped binding on a small  piece with Timtex in it. I think I am  going to  give that a try on my right hand piece I am also going to put a layer of batting between the quilt  top and the Timtex. The left hand could use a little more dimension.

No comments: