Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cutting strips

I spent hours yesterday cutting my 1/12 inch strips to the correct length. I took a few breaks, to fix dinner, answer email, a trip to the store, a trip to the arboretum, but it seemed like I was working at it all day and evening. I am glad that I did it because I can put the boxes away and clean up a little before I start sewing the blocks. Having the strips cut to size certainly beats working with the long strips and then trimming the excess. After I cut all  the strips I put them on a tray and this is what I have to work from.
I know I can keep it neat because I will only work on 4 blocks at a time and I will take the top 4 strips for the round on which I am working. If you walked into my sewing room you would wonder "what is all this talk about neatness" but every once in a while I hit on a plan that works and I know this worked for the chevron braid so I am sure it will work for this.


I needed to make a bunch of Log Cabin  starters and I wanted them to be all  mostly different. That is kind of a pain in the neck........ but wait.......in the box that had 1 1/2 inch  strips I had a bunch of strips with 1 1/2 inch squares sewed on the ends. I was going to cut the squares off and use the strips but I set them aside with the thought that I maybe I would use them again. When I was cleaning off the table it dawned on me that I could cut my starter pieces from the strips.  No matter that I did not  immediately see that I could use these strips in this way as  soon as I saw them. In the end who will know it was not brilliant planning?

Starters

Sometimes things work out just right!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant as usual. Kathy