Thursday, March 27, 2014

Making Fabric

I've spent most of my sewing time this week making fabric. Last week someone brought in to our guild meeting a large bag of fabric that was donated to the guild. It was a big bag with substantial pieces of fabric; there was also a small bag with a lot of odd shaped and small scraps. I said that I would like to have some of the scraps and I was given the small bag.
 I sorted them into piles by color on 2 trays,which you can see in the upper left corner. Next to the trays are the pieces of "made fabric" that I made with the scraps. They are around 12 inches square (except they are not square).
I cut the center 2 pieces of made fabric (the ones that are most alike with pinks, greens, yellow and lavender) into 4 1/2 inch squares and 2 1/2 by 8 1/2 inch strips. These are 2 blocks I made in the lower left corner and on the right are the other 4 squares that I cut.

At that point I realized that these pieces all contained the same kinds of colors/fabrics and I pulled those fabrics out of the piles and added a few colors that were in short supply from my own supply of scraps.  so this is what I have right now and I need 2more 2 1/2 by 8 1/2 half inch strips and 2 more 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch made fabric strips  and the Kona Bone fabric cut in the same sizes to make the rest of the blocks. the blocks will be 8 inches finished. I am making the strips individually instead of a large piece because I want to control where the seams are going to fall and also because I am running out of longer strips of the scraps in the colors I want.

This last picture is an EQ7 rendering of the small piece that I am going to make. As I look at this it seems that maybe I should put the blocks with the Kona Bone in the 4 position but I have played with the design and I think that when the border is added this is the way to go, especially if I use a "made fabric" border. We'll see.

At this point I do not have any plans for the other 3 larger pieces of made fabric. I have a couple of other things I need to concentrate on so I will probably put them aside for a while. I will get back to them sooner or later.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

How clever you are!!! Great design! Dianne