Friday, December 11, 2015

More Finishes

I finished 3 more mats I probably should count this as one finish as it is really one project.
Using the same fabrics  plus one more (with the red birds)as the one for the coffee table, I made this one for the one for the chest in the living room.
















It goes with this one that I finished last week for the coffee table










These 2 go on hutches in the dining room and to them I added a few strips from years past to the fabrics I used in the other 2.
 In my sewing room I hung Christmas wall hangings and set out decorations from other years, some decorations that I made and some that were gifts. I like to use what I have from the past because I like to remember  where they came from and who gave them to me. I have one or two things from my preteen years. (They are really old.)


For many years we had a small tree that hung on the wall above Jack's dresser.  Over the years I changed the decorations several times; I added lights and decorated it with small ornaments.  Jack loved it and we kept it up after we took the other tree down. He always called me Scrooge when I  retired it for the year.
Last year when we moved I threw it away.  Well............. he wasn't real happy about that. After we got the tree up last week he started talking about "his tree" again. So, I started looking for a small tree that could hang on the wall, I don't think I ever saw another one over the years that was like the one we had; I had been looking. We were at Walmart last week and I looked at the small trees; we ruled out a fiber optic tree and chose a prelit tree that was displayed on a very high shelf. I thought is was 30 inches, which was taller than I wanted, but we had someone get a box down for us and we took it anyway as the box didn't seem too long. There 2  parts that fit together and it turned out to be 48 inches. I thought we would return it as it was too tall for Jacks chest of drawers but he was already attached to it. We set it on my dresser and I decorated it with a few shiny ornaments and some of the ornaments from friends and grandchildren and great grand children and children from the preschool room at church. I got to use a lot of personal things that didn't fit so well  on the slimmer living room tree we bought 2 years ago.

Jack is happy and I'm happy. He can look at it when he is sitting at his desk and we leave it on for a while every night before we go to sleep.








2 comments:

Annie said...

Your new runners are perfect, Ruthie! And what a fun story to read about Jack's tree! It's a good decision you replaced it quickly rather than endure years of hearing about how you destroyed Christmas when you outed the "other tree"! LoL

Ruth said...

Thank you Annie, I think Jack would be happy to leave both trees up for the whole month of January. We seem to get it set up earlier and earlier every year. He turns on the lights as soon as we get up in the morning. I never knew how much he like the Christmas trees until we bought an artificial tree. We always took the tree down soon after Christmas because the needles were falling like rain.