I spread it out on my bed for a photo shoot and Jack said, "This is our quilt for the bed for the rest of the summer". Well......OK; it really does look good in our bedroom. The white background print lightens up the room.
I never thought about using it in our bedroom until I put it on the bed and saw how well it goes with the curtains. And, how could I not have thought about how well it would look with the "Red Flowers blog banner" quilt that hangs on the wall above the bed? I have a plain green coverlet on the bed and the quilt will go across the long way and just curve over the edges on the foot and sides. I have a little bit smaller spiral log cabin quilt across the foot of the bed now and I need something different to cover the pillows. I know Jack will say what I have on the pillows works fine. It does NOT so I am rolling it around in my mind.
This is the back of the quilt. I had 6 blocks left over and used them in 2 sets of 3 to make the backing longer.
No matter how I angled my camera I wasn't able to get a good photo of the quilting. Maybe it will show up if you click on the picture to enlarge it. It is pretty simple, quilting in the ditch around all the 6 inch blocks and then using the #4 Bernina serpentine stitch across all the squares
I did the binding on the machine; arthritis in my hands makes it a long drawn out and painful process by hand.
I stitch the binding to the front and press it away from the quilt. I then pull it around to the back to cover the stitching and press with steam. I use 1/4 inch Stitch Witchery to fuse the binding to hold it in place and stitch in the ditch on the front. When I come to the corner miter I stitch along the edge of the miter fold to the point and back and then continue on down the next side.
These next 3 photos show the binding and stitching. The true color is closer to the corner photos.
|Binding - Corner front|
|Binding - corner back|
|Binding - along the edge|