Monday, June 18, 2012

Dresden Ruler

I bought the EZ Dresden Ruler 2 or 3 months ago; we used the Dresden Plate  for our block of the month at our church group. Recently, I have been looking at the Dresden Plate designs that are popping up on some of the blogs I follow. I want to try this one at Diary of a Quilter and this one from Happy Quilting.
There has been an EZ Dresden Challenge and blog hop going on with a lot to look at and tutorials as well. There are others that have piqued my interest and I will be going back to them also to try some other things. It all fits in with our current circle theme with the Basement Divas

This is what I have been doing the past few days. I cut up a charm pack of Central Park and  made all the blades yesterday. I am ready to sew the one on top left together and maybe the one on the left as well. The one on my ironing board (with the gay background) needs some work; I will take out the brown blade. I may add a few fabrics from another line if I can find something that will blend in. I was able to get two blades from each 5 inch square. There were a few blades left over and a few charms that I left out. I am not sure what I will do with these. I made a Jellyroll Race quilt from Central park  fabric so maybe I will make some pillows to go with it or maybe a table  runner or some placemats.
I don't often buy specialty rulers but the EZ Dresden ruler is a  good one to have. I prefer to figure out how to use my basic rulers to cut what I need but when it comes to angles other that 45 or 90 it makes sense to buy a ruler made to do the cutting. I am sure I will get my money's worth out of this one; the Dresden Challenge has caught my interes as I see the neat ideas on the blog hop.
I want to make something in red, white and blue using this ruler. I am drawn to citrus colors right now but after I got out all the summer quilts with red, white and blue colors I realized that this is looks much more cohesive in my decorating scheme instead of citrus colors. I was feeling like my living room and dining room area looked like a flea market. I can hang all  the bright  colors in my sewing room and make it happy and bright there.

No comments: