Friday, November 30, 2012

Orphan blocks

After I finished the two 12 1/2 inch house blocks I started to clean up and put things away. Improv piecing sure makes a mess; I had a lot of boxes down from the shelves.
While I was searching for just the right inhabitants for my houses I came across some orphan blocks and some partly finished demo blocks from when I was presenting a block of the month for our church group. The first year we did the BOM I made my blocks  quilt with Christmas colors and I finished that  "sampler" quilt. The second time I just used different fabrics that I had and some of the blocks I made into something with one or two blocks. I saw a lot of those things on Thanksgiving when I was at our daughter's house. She loves the fall colors and I used fall  colors for a number of things that I made with the blocks. Then there were the blocks that just got put away in a box. some were finished, some were too small, some were partly finished to show the steps in construction.

These are 9 blocks that I am going to send to Beth at Love Laugh Quilt with my houses. I am not sure how in the world she can fit those 2 Snails Trail blocks in with other orphans but if anyone can she can. I hope she is not overwhelmed with orphan blocks.

These 2 blocks were made to demo 3 piece triangle components and the one on the right was also to demo partial seam piecing. the bright one was only 8 1/2 inches so I added  2 1/2 inch strips to make it big enough.

I made this butterfly block over 10 years ago. I saw it on Simply Quilts and the guest quilter was showing easy blocks for sewing with kids. I wish I could tell you her name. My great nieces came over to quilt and the 9 year old made a block like this one. I had made up so kits with  squares and rectangles already cut. They picked out the kits with the fabrics they liked. She really loved making it and could hardly get through lunch because she was in a hurry to get back to her sewing. She finished it up and layered it and quilted it on the machine. It was a really fun day for me too.
 
These were 4 little  pinwheel blocks  the  I sewed  together to make an 8 1/2 inch block and then I added 2 1/2 inch strips to make it big enough. I had made these to demo some of the many things you could do with half square triangle components. I really like this block and think it would make a nice scrappy quilt with 12 inch blocks like this each a different fabric. However, this one will be going to Beth too. I work up a quilt with it in EQ7 and when/if I get around to it I will know how to make it.
 

1 comment:

kathyf said...

Middle, bottom row of your orphan blocks would make a good block for qult camp..