Monday, November 12, 2018

Potholders

I haven't been idle since I finished the "Heartbeat" baby quilt. It seems as though everything takes twice as long to do anymore and I don't find the time to post.

I made some potholders for the boutique at the women's Christmas luncheon at our church. Our quilting group members made several different things so I didn't need to make a large number myself.

I used the tutorial for the Hexagon potholders from SewCanShe blog: it is a good tutorial.

These are the fronts and backs of the 3 different kinds I made. This time I purchased fabric for the potholders but I have also made them in the past using scraps.

I make the backs with a seam that I leave open for turning so I don't have to deal with hand sewing the edge closed. Hand stitching is getting harder all the time for me.

I layer the fronts with Insulbrite and quilt in the ditch then add a layer of Warm and Natural and the back and stitch all around and turn. I stitch in the ditch around the center hexagon to hold it all together.

I made some with 3 fabric strips like these first 2.









The rest are made with 2 fabrics for the strips. They all have the red candy cane backs which is fabric from our quilting closet at church.

I brought some other fabric home from the closet but decided it is large scale print and won't work as well. I will put it back in the closet for another project.







Our quilting group met for breakfast Saturday and then took a road trip to 2 quilt shops. I had been waiting until then I buy fabric for the next "Heartbeat" baby quilt.

This is the focus fabric; I wanted something that was not gender specific.


This is the fabric I will use for the 3 rows of blocks.

It is washed and ready to cut and I
am ready to get started.





.

2 comments:

Connie said...

Love your baby quilt fabric, it is so much fun and so cheerful. I also clicked on the link you provided for the potholder tutorial, thank you. I want to make some of those for Christmas and Thanksgiving gifts. They are so pretty and homespun. Perfect for hostess gifts :) I have been looking through magazines and everywhere for an idea for this year and you gave it to me. I love blogging . . . thank you for sharing. Your potholders look amazing, I hope mine turn out as nice.
Happy Quitting!
Connie :)

Annie said...

Sweet potholders for the holidays, Ruthie! I dislike hand sewing those openings myself, so if there is a way around it, go for it! The next heartbeat baby quilt will be a bright and happy one. That is such a cute fabric.