Thursday, February 20, 2020

Finished!

The Framed 9 Patch quilt is officially finished.  The binding is on, turned to the back and stitched.

 This is the best photo I can get of the whole quilt. It is on my king size bed and completely covers the top. It will not be used on this bed  is only here for the photo. I can't get far enough away to get a better photo and I can't put it up on my design wall because it is too heavy for me to do it by getting up on a ladder.

This is one section of the piano key border, which was sewn to the inner border and quilted before adding to the quilt. There is stitching in the ditch along the seam where it was added.











This is that section on the back showing the machine stitched edge of the backing.  I had turned the edges under and pressed them and fused them and then stitched in the ditch from the front. I was really happy that all my machine stitched edges on the back  turned out so well.







These are 2 of the corners with Double Four Patch Blocks.  I stitched on the front, in the ditch along the binding.












This is one of those corners on the back. I caught the binding on the back along the whole quilt and all my corner miters came out well.
However, the width of the binding on the back was not even all over. The weight of the quilt at times dragged the quilt and made it hard to manage a uniform 1/4 inch seam. I did examine the edges and fixed some ares before turning the binding to the back but I missed some places and because I had already started to fuse some of the binding down, there was not going back. It is good from the front and because I use double fold binding it is not going to come loose. It probably would not pass inspection from the judges or the quilt police but I'm happy.

This is the last quilt this large I will ever make. Even quilting it in sections, it became really hard to manage after I added the third section.  I don't see how I can make my sewing space different to make quilting something this large easier. I know I will be content to make smaller quilts and I intend to make another smaller Framed 9 Patch and I have other projects in mind also. After all, I have all those scraps to use.


3 comments:

kathyf said...

Fantastic!

Annie said...

Ruthie, this is wait I’ve waiting for. The finish reveal! It looks wonderful! You’ve done a great job. You are braver than I. Such a large quilt! I am impressed. You can be very proud of this quilty accomplishment doing it all yourself start to finish. Well done!

Dolly said...

That is a stunning quilt ! I discovered your blog in the side bar over at the Patchy Menagerie, and I really like this framed nine patch. I also enjoyed how much information you give about your process. Alas, I have given up on the bigger quilts as well. Full size quilts used to be a good accomplishments, but no one uses full size beds anymore. I have down-sized to a twin, so I get to KEEP ALL THE BED QUILTS I MAKE !. I am BLESSED !
And couch-sized ones are such a pleasure !