Saturday, September 10, 2022

Finally........

I have a finish, FINALLY.  It has been a long time since I have even started something, let alone finish it.
This is the finished quilt. It is 35 x 35 and is what I call a drag round quilt, A drag around quilt is one that gets used for laying on the floor, or a coverup in the car seat or on Mom or Dad's lap, for a doll quilt, or a tea party tablecloth or just a little comfort quilt. A versatile little quilt that is easy to drag around. They are usually well used, well loved and used up.
I  used the all over kitty print as a background, as usual, I started with my Electric Quilt program.
I scan my fabric and put in the fabric library and select the blocks I am considering. Then I experiment in EQ to see how much fabric i need. In this case I wanted to see if I had enough fabric for what I had in mind. I did not have enough of the kitty print to use it in both the 4 inch squares and the pinwheels. 




I don't even remember where I ordered the fabric so that wasn't an option. A trip to the fabric shop resulted in backing fabric but not much help for the top. I decided on orange and yellow pinwheels. 
I pulled out boxes of fabric and odd blocks and I found some blocks left over from another quilt and I tried them out and planned around them but after trying them out on the wall and then scanning them and putting them in the quilt in EQ, I discard that idea. I found some left over fabric from a cat panel and decide to use a few of the squares.  At first I was only going to use one orange cat  but after making pinwheels and putting everything on the wall I cut more cats in the other colors.

Make all my decisions on he wall with the actual blocks and fabric squares but my EQ program allows me to explore many options that would wear me out if I had to rearrange everything over and over to see them all.  I had six different viable EQ options from start to finish. Some I did not pursue because of limited yardage. 


 With left over fabric, I made a small doll quilt for Big Sister.  This one is 11 x 11 inches.  She has many dolls of all different sizes, so I know this one will fit one of them.  
I have more of the allover kitty print left and I suggested that Big Sister, who is 4 years old, might like to come and help make another doll quilt. That is the age I started to teach my two oldest great grand children to use the sewing machine.


Speaking of the oldest great grand children...........................







Jack and I started started baby sitting one day a week, all day, with these two great grand children when they were 1 and 2 years old. They kept us busy for a few years before they moved to another state. They are both in college now.

They came to visit us recently and I had them each select a quilt form the lager quilts residing in my cedar chest. Grace chose a Disappearing 9 Patch, she said the quilt would match her college dorm room colors.  Ethan chose the Jellyroll Race quilt.
The JR Race quilt was not a bed size so I told him to pick out one more.

I wanted this photo of them with their quilts. All too often the quilts go to someone and I don't have a photo and after a time I forget who has what.



This photo is Grace with a little quilt she made when she visited us when she was about 10. Ethan is showing his second quilt.
 Ethan said it didn't matter that all of the fabrics in his second quilt were not strongly masculine "as long as it was made by Gigi".

It was a wonderful visit sharing many memories of our "adventures". Nice to know those are  memories are good ones for them too.

I hope we will be making good memories with our youngest great grands.







3 comments:

Kim said...

What a wonderful name and description, Drag Around Quilt! You always impress me with your creativity and creations!

Love the picture of Ethan and Grace! You and Jack have been so influential in your family for so many generations. I have been inspired to continue to pass along the skill and love of quilting to my nieces and nephews!

Annie said...

Somehow I missed this post! Those cat quilts are both adorable!! That cats are adorable. Finishes are always a happy day and time. I’m sure those drag around quilts are extremely loved. Photos of your great grands with their quilts is precious. I love Ethan’s comment about his second quilt. It such a good feeling when family love the quilts we labor over with love. My family all have quilts now so I get to have a new experience sewing a charity quilt. First time ever! My guild put together bags of scraps from donated fabrics and challenged us to make a quilt from the scraps for charity. I’m enjoying the process.

Dolly said...

I love the grandchildren story and photos. They grow up all too quickly, and WHY do they ALWAYS have to move so far away ???????? My first one is in college now, and the other two coming up quickly behind ! Oh, well, God has blessed us all with health and happiness, and what more could we ask ?