I didn't feel like cleaning up my sewing space yesterday so I decided to work on something that didn't require cleaning off my cutting tables. Actually in the end I needed to cut and just pushed stuff out of the way.
I wanted to do something more with the ZT bird that I had drawn on yellow fabric. I had spent a lot of time getting the shape of the bird the way I wanted so I think maybe after I drew it on paper I scanned it and printed it on yellow fabric and then filled in the details. It is about 11 x 15 and I want to put something more in the two lower corners and somewhere at the top. It has been a while since I have drawn anything and I do not want to mess this up because I had layered it up with batting and quilted it. On the back you can see how much stitching I've done.
I decided that I needed to practice on paper a little first but soon realized that practice on paper wouldn't cut it. I got out my fabric to draw on and cut some small pieces and ironed them to freezer paper. After I finished the drawing, I layered it up with a layer of batting and quilted it on all of the long lines. This is about 6 x 7 1/2 inches so I didn't stitch over the stripes or those little tiny circles in the 3 big leaves.
I should have taken a picture before I layered it with the backing and did some minimal quilting again over the long lines leaving out the Curly Q's. All I need to do is add some triangle corners to the back for hanging and add the binding. It took me about 2 hours for the drawing and 2 1/2 for the first layer of quilting. Hmmm..... that is a lot of time for something that small. I am going to make a few more small pieces with different elements before I make up my mind about what I want to put on the bird piece.