Friday, July 13, 2012

BOM


 I thought I would find a nice easy 12 inch block on line for the block of the month for our group at church. I found a  Bear's Paw variation and sent everyone the link.

I stated that I hadn't made it yet but I was sure it was OK.  Well, it is!  However.....I took a good look at the directions today and made the block. I would never give directions that called for 5/16 of and inch. I don't even use 3/8 or 7/8 measurements when making HST's but round up to the nearest 1/2 inch and trim to the exact size I want. I made it according to the instructions but made the HST's my way and used my measurements to float the center square. I also press triangle seams open. I decided after doing this block I would also trim connector corners and press those seams open if they are going to meet another seam with connector corners center seams meeting. It came out OK  if  you don't mind the center square floating, I don't. I think it is better than struggling with a square in a square center that isn't big enough.  I will make another one for step by step demo and I will also do it my way but  will let everyone decide for themselves if they want to use my measurements or the ones on line. The ones online do work after all. My way might not be the best way for everyone even though it is best for me.
This red fabric is one I used on the back or the Christmas sampler quilt I finished last year and I aso have some leftover wide strips of the border fabric. I will make something with the 2 blocks that I can use at Christmas time.

No comments: