Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Backing Sections

I seems as though everything I do lately gets bogged down while I am either waiting for something or doing something I have to do that has nothing to do with quilting. Of course sometimes I am wavering over what I want to do or how to do it.

I am working on the backing sections for the Framed 9 Patch quilt. I will be quilting it in 6 sections so I planned to have a scrappy back.  I pulled out a bunch of pieces but nothing was big enough or looked good together. Some fabrics looked good but there wasn't enough to make anything cohesive for all six sections. I will be quilting separate border sections as well. I am really serious about using up everything I have but sometimes that just doesn't work out.

I found some picket fence borders that I had planned for another quilt several years ago. I didn't use them because they looked like they belonged on a different quilt. That was my thought when I tried them out and when Jack said that, without my prompting, I knew they didn't belong on that quilt.  I drag them out every time I try to use something from my odds and ends but they never work.

This is one border section.




 This is 2 sections showing the pattern in the  way I will sew them together.
The borders are sewn in long strips and I will be taking them apart in short sections.




This is the way the sections will look when I get them made. At this point I am not worrying about the colors. Random is random and this time it is really random and it looks like it.

I went shopping and bought the floral fabric, it was on sale and I bought all of it. I will have enough to frame all the picket fence sections and for the borders and even enough to change my mind.




Years ago, when it was my turn, I asked the Friendship Group to make 71/2 inch HST blocks; probably 3 blocks using different fabrics in each. I sliced them in 2 1/2 inch strips and rearranged them. I mixed up all the colors and if I remember correctly I had quite a mixed up time getting them in the right order. It would have been easier to keep each original block together like the one here. However I wanted random. I am counting on the floral fabric to make it all come together.

I would have felt guilty if I didn't use the blocks I requested, like I was rejecting their efforts. These have been hanging around chastising me. I will be really happy to get them off my conscience and out of my Odd Blocks Box.


No comments: