Sunday, October 6, 2019

Table Toppers and Piano Keys

I finally finished my autumn table mats for my mismatched end tables. I had been waiting for a walking foot for my lightweight Brother that I bought for a "take along" machine. I never expected to use it for quilting. I ordered the foot from Amazon and after 2 weeks they informed me the order was lost. I ordered  it on line from Walmart and got it in two days.
 I also finally got my Bernina out to the sewing center for service this week.  I was waiting for  family member to drive me there. The walking foot worked OK on the Brother but I really miss my Bernina and I hope it will be coming home soon.


So the mats are finished, they are on the tables  adding some color. I didn't even bother with a photo of the one on the table next to Jack's chair. It is pretty much covered up by an assortment of things he wants within arm's reach.

 This little 8 x 10 quilt on the other table is slipped over one of those clear plastic stand up sign holders. I made several of these for my mother in law when she was in assisted living. Some were for a month, some for a season or holiday. I have some of them now and I remembered to get this one out since the theme here right now seems to be leaves and pumpkins.

This is on my front door. Everyone else on our apartment hall had something seasonal and my door looked neglected. I wanted something that is not so big it covers the number on our door.  I used MS Paint to cover my apt. number in the photo (that is the brown rectangle above the leaves). This covers the peep hole on my door but I can see through a little space looking from inside. I feel like we are now decorated for autumn with various pumpkins sitting around and table toppers with leaves and wall hangings in autumn colors.

My Brother machine is very nice for piecing so I haven't been idle while waiting for the walking foot. I worked on the piano key borders for the Framed 9 Patch quilt.

 I have been sewing strips of different lengths together together. Most of the strips are around 2 inches some a bit more narrow, some a bit wider. The longer sets will be cut in sections that are the needed size and the sections joined with other sections. 

If there are pieces left when I cut the long sets into sections I often get one or two  narrow widths that I turn and use between sections like this little strip on the right side of the set. I think it adds a little interest.
A few days ago I went through my scrap bins and pulled out strips that were in with all the assorted odd pieces and sorted them into similar lengths.









I still have to decide on the backing for the 6 Framed  9 Patch sections. I don't know if I want them all different, all the same, or some pattern of 2 or 3 different fabrics. I don't know if I want to quilt all the border sections separate or add them to the outside edges of the sections. These things are in the back of my mind and I haven't had much chance to bring them to the forefront and finalize my plan.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Ruthie, your table mats looks so pretty and perfect for Fall decor. Such a cute small quilt of the pumpkins. What a fantastic idea to slip a small quilt like that over a plastic stand up frame. I NEVER-in-a-mil would have ever thought of that. How simple to switch out the design all through the year. I like your door decoration. So glad you decided to not be a humbug. LOL. It sounds fun to be making the piano keys border. And scrappy to boot keeps the scrap accumulation down. I love that you use the pieces at the end of a cut strip to add in for interest. Great idea that.