Thursday, September 19, 2019

Brown

 Jack is feeling pretty good and we are having a short break from doctors appointments and I have a little time to sew.

 I made some table toppers for my mismatched end tables and they are all ready to quilt. I am currently without my Bernina and I am waiting for a even feed foot from Amazon for my Brother. I bought the Brother for a lightweight machine to take with me  to classes and sewing events. I like the machine for piecing but I thought I would never be quilting with it. It will work just fine for small things.

I keep saying I don't like brown but brown is what I needed for these and I found some brown fabrics in my strips and scrap bins that I don't hate.

For this one, I sewed 2 inch strips together on the short edges and cut 23 inch sections and sewed them together on the long edges.  This will be on the table next to "Jack's chair". He has a bunch of things arranged precisely on the table and a mat eliminates the need for coasters as well as adding some color (even if it is brown color).


















I like this one a little better. I had a larger size piece of the left print and I was able to cut a square and corner pieces. I used more strips from my scrap bins.



















I guess I don't really hate brown. When I started quilting I used a lot of it. Cotton fabrics were mostly in the mauve and blue, peach and green, red white and blue, or rust and brown range, not colors that fit with our decor. My first big quilt was rust and ,gold and brown with small amounts of turquoise for accents. patches.

Right now I have my autumn quilts out and guess what, they are mostly brown. These 3 quilts are on my walls.





 The one above is an early color wash made sometime around 1997-1998. It is in the living room. I named it "Lake County Autumn A Real Ohio Star". I happen to think autumn in Lake County Ohio rivals anywhere in the world.

 The one next to it was made in 1998 and is in the dining room.  I consider his one a watercolor quilt instead of a color wash. They were both made with 2 inch squares. I named it "Flower Basket"

The quilt on the right is a panel that I used as it was, except I trimmed it down on the sides to fit a narrow wall inside our front door and added the narrow green border and the orange and black border.
I made this last year after I saw the panel in the quilt shop. I passed buying it 3 times before I went back and bought it. The border fabric was displayed right next to it and was part of the reason I couldn't resist.



This is on my dining room table. You can see the brown curtains beyond the table; the living room drapes are the same color, ugly brown, the same as the carpet.









This is a painting by a local artist.

 The reason  I bought it was the autumn colors shout of Lake County and we used to drive past an area that looked just like this on our autumn foliage drives. It is in the dining room also.















So.... maybe I should rethink my attitude toward brown. I don't think I really hate all browns. I don't mind the carpet. I don't actually hate the color of the curtains.
I hate my curtains.
I hate them because they are so big when they are closed and make the room so dark. We were in a big hurry to get the windows covered that day because the sun glare on the TV made watching TV impossible. Jack picked them out and I allowed him to just for expedience.
I will change the curtains!
Without input! 






3 comments:

Annie said...

Wonderful quilted Fall pieces! Browns do have their usefulness. That’s the color I have the least amount of fabric in. But when Fall comes around, they work out pretty well. Your new mats look terrific! I love the leaves in the center for the second one. Those two quilts made in the late 90s are gorgeous. I said to myself “really?!...made with 2” squares?!” I had to pull that photo in close to see that it really is. WOW. I was sure it was a panel at first. It looks awesome. I love that panel you made last year. It is so pretty. The table mat looks so pretty on your table. And the painting is gorgeous. It looks like the curtains are a very pale shade of a brown. So they don’t looks so bad from way over here. You have to live them, so you need something you can enjoy. I believe most men should not be involved in home decor. That’s why we give them a garage. LOL.

Kim said...

I'm glad you're finding time to sew. I really like your new projects. I made a brown quilt for my uncle. He used to do a lot of work with wood, so the fabrics resembled wood grains.

kathyf said...

I love to see everything you have going on. Missed you last night.