Thursday, February 4, 2021

Finished!


I finished the Alphabet quilt on Tuesday. I woke up early and that gave me a big chunk of time to sew the binding. 
 I altered my technique for fusing the binding on the back before I stitch it down from the front. Today I left the paper on the 1/4 inch strips of fusible web and ironed them on the edge of the binding. After it cooled I removed all the paper and folded the binding to cover the stitches and fused the binding. I was easier than folding and pressing and then tucking the almost invisible fusible under the folded binding. 
I decided that using my walking foot was really a bad idea for the kind of quilting I was doing on the panel. iItwas not only tedious but my hands hurt from turning and twisting and stuffing the quilt under the arm of the machine. I set up my machine for free motion and hoped for the best. It turned out OK. My stitches were not always consistent but they were within the acceptable range and I improved as I went along. As I started each letter and animal I planned what i intended to do and it worked out OK most of the time. There were a few times that I got lost and ended up where I had to end my stitching and start again in another place. 

These two sections turned out to different to stitch than I expected. I thought the branches and leaves would give me a problem working out the direction to meander around them. It was intuitive easy after all.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   I though the fish would be easy but I got lost and had to take out some of the stitching.  It is not perfect but I am happy with it nonetheless.                                                                                         I guess free motion quilting is still an option for now.

Overall the density of the stitching over the entire quilt is consistent. The quilt is nice and flat and would hang well though I hope it will be used and not hung on a wall.

I have learned that I can adjust to my changing  abilities and to all the things that have altered the amount of sewing/playing time I have,

I did have another big frustration. When I was free motion quilting the foot control quit working again. This time I didn't pitch a fit over it. I just turned off the machine and folded up the quilt and went and did some housekeeping chores. I considered that maybe I should just buy a new machine. I was also thinking about what I was doing before it happened. Just as the first time, I had taken a break after I had wound some bobbins. I looked at the bobbin winding switch and it looked like it was switched for winding the bobbin. I turned the machine on, flipped the switch and guess what. It worked. This is not the first time this  happened but it has been a long time since it did. That is probably why I didn't think of it. The problems with my original l foot pedal were because my cat had chewed the cord. I guess I was still in the mindset that there was something wrong with the wiring on the new foot pedal. I am trying to let myself off the hook for being such a dunce. At any rate I am so relieved that I don't have to buy another foot pedal or worse yet another machine. 


2 comments:

Annie said...

Ruthie, this quilt looks adorable. I love all the vivd color. Pinwheels make a fabulous border for the panel. I’m glad you found a way to enjoy the quilting more. It’s a lot easier to get it finished when you enjoy the process at least somewhat. The stripe border and binding are a perfect contrast. I’m so glad your machine troubles were such an easy fix. I’ve done the same thing with the bobbin winder switch. Ha! I agree, as our bodies change, we need to be willing and open to adjusting the way we do something in order to continue to enjoy what brings us pleasure. Well done.

JanineMarie said...

Such a delightful quilt! I love how you picked up all the colors in the striped border and pinwheels. I can see why you switched from walking foot to FMQ. I have a feeling I would have made the same choices, starting with the one and switching to the other. Either way, quilting around the letters and fun shapes of all the pictures was just what the quilt wanted, and it was worth it. Isn’t it funny how we want our quilts to be used, but they end up being displayed on a wall. At least they are enjoyed either way.