Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Bonus Quilt

 Some of us call them free quilts but, as my husband pointed out to me, they are not really free. However a bonus is just as good as free. There are leftovers from the Alphabet quilt and I do not want to add any more scraps to my overwhelming collection of scraps.  This is the bonus quilt made with the Alphabet leftovers and a block from my leftover blocks box and a piece of flannel for backing that was leftover from making flannel board for a kids activity at church. 
It is 26 inches square.


At one time, I asked The Friendship group for 12 inch Anvil blocks with improv centers and bright color HST's. I think I made a top and sent it to Victoria Findlay Wolfe. On her blog, she had asked  for Anvil blocks with blue backgrounds to make quilts for cancer patients.
 I found three leftover Anvil blocks in my block box.  Days earlier, I had found an extra large zip lock bag with a bunch of leftover pieces of various Laurel Burch fabrics, I wanted to use the block and the LB cat fabric and the HST"s and the striped fabric were perfect together. So I replaced the center improv pieced square with the LB cat fabric. 
I've had fun with this, I didn't obsess over every little thing and my workmanship is pretty good but not perfect, after all, THIS IS FOR A CAT AND I HOPE HE LIKES IT.



As I started putting things away, I found three more boxes of scraps that are unsorted. This is what happens when when I need to clean up my sewing space in a hurry. I stuff things in boxes and then never get back to it.  Who would believe that when I finished my first bed quilt in 1985 I thought that was the only quilt I would ever make?  And who would ever think that I would have accumulated so much stuff?

3 comments:

Annie said...

Oh Ruthie, this little bonus quilt is so cute! You found enough pieces that are perfect together, reduced the scrap and leftover stash AND ended up with a fantastic cat quilt. I’m sure the cat will love it...unless it only wants lie on forbidden quilt ground. Ha! I don’t think they are that fussy. I’m doing the same thing...after making a quilt, I’m making small things to use up the scraps. You’ll see that in action on my blog hop post on Tuesday. I say “enough with the scraps already!” I’m just not a good scrap user. Postcards don’t use up enough of them either. I get that about your first quilt way back when and who could’ve guessed it would come to this! Same here.

Kim said...

I love this bonus quilt! You are so creative and really know how to pair colors to create colorful quilts!

Mary Huey said...

Your only quilt -- that's funny!