This one was printed lengthwise on the fabric so in my mind it was not useable without cutting it apart. I cut all the squares and of course they were not exactly square. I cut them all square by cutting a bit less than 1/4 inch into the printed "sashing" between the squares . It worked out well but it gave me 5 3/4 inch squares to work with, kind of an odd size. I cut my sashing strips 1 1/2 inches from red fabric which was almost exactly the same shade as the printed sashing.
In addition to the lettered squares there are 2 squares with several of the animals in the square and no letters. That made 28 squares and setting the squares 5 to a row and 6 rows, I needed 2 more squares.
I thought of pinwheels but 2 or even 3 colors in a pinwheels seemed be lacking. I found some 16 patch leftover blocks that had all the colors in the quilt and I took the rows apart from 2 of them and added the rows to 2 other blocks and made 25 patch blocks that fit the corners exactly. So.... there they are and I am not certain they are the best choice. In person they are much brighter and the colors are a good fit.
I am ready to add a bright blue speckled fabric for the borders and the backing will be the same. If I have to piece the backing, I might make pinwheels. We'll See.