Saturday, October 15, 2022

A Finish

 Jack's drag around quilt is finished and I am pleased with the way it turned out.


I stitched in the ditch along all the the colored patches and it was easy moving from top to bottom along the inside seam on each block and the back up the outside seam. I carefully stitched over some seams to avoid ending and restarting. I can't easily use a hand needle to bury threads so I start and end with tiny stitches in the ditch where it is hard to see. The backing on this quilt makes the overstitched lines invisible. I stitched 2 lines corner to corner across each focus fabric square.

I sewed the binding in my usual way, sewing on the front and turning to the back and fusing the binding with narrow strips of Wonder Under;  I am careful to cover the stitching. I sewed the binding on with red  thread and it was easy to see and cover on the back. I stitch in the ditch from the  front and my stitching catches the edge of the binding on the back. Sometimes the stitches on the back miss the edge a little and I need to do some hand stitching and sometimes the binding on the back is  little wider and the stitching is a bit far in from the edge. Because it has become so difficult for me to do any hand sewing, I paid more attention to my quarter inch seam when stitching the binding to the front. It paid off by the edge of the seam on the back falling in the exact place it needed to be. I have been doing my binding this way for a long time and this is the first time ever that the stitches caught the edge of the binding in the perfect place on the edge of the entire perimeter. 

This is one corner folded back.













This is  what it looks like on he front. probably not he same corner because the photo was an afterthought.







I think a rather long time of no quilting and recognizing that arthritis in my hands it here to stay has forced me to develop better habits. Sometimes you have to search hard to find an up side to an unwelcome change in one's life. There it is and I'll take it.

This quilt will be on it's way next week, along with a little draw string bag of the same fabric for big brother. When they were here Elijah saw the fabric and asked "For me?". Of course, I have to make something to send along for him. The bag is waiting for me to get started.

2 comments:

Annie said...

This sweet drag around quilt turned out great, Ruthie! Although I am still, so far, able to bury threads, it is never my favorite. I try hard to find ways around it. LOL. Your binding looks perfect! I’m glad to hear that you are finding ways around health issues to continue doing what you love. I’ve had a shoulder issue for the past 4 months but I’ve been forcing and adjusting around it because I refuse to give in to it.

kathyf said...

checking in. I have been doing nothing. Still sorting out health crap. Miss you and good to see you are back at it.
Kathy F