Thursday, July 11, 2019

More Blocks

I have seven more blocks finished; that makes 49 locks.  I haven't yet decided what size I will make the quilt; after thinking about making either 23 more blocks or 50 more blocks, I am leaning toward a twin size.

When I put the blocks up on my expanded design wall I got a better sense of what colors I need.  I am using leftover pieces and scraps and I am determined not to buy any fabric for the blocks.  Well, maybe I will buy some solid fabric. I have a lot more that I thought but there are 3 or 4 colors  or shades that I am lacking.  For each block I cut only a 12  X 2 inch strip of solid fabric. I know what ever I add to my stash will be used because I like using solids with prints and I have some other ideas. I am looking forward to using up my scrap stash.


These are the blocks I made right after I finished my design wall.  I am not a lover of brown but I though I needed something that kind of stepped back instead of trying to grab attention. I also wanted to use some blue and green and purple solids.
These are not my favorite blocks but they will be used, maybe!
I finished these this morning. I wanted to use some of the purple prints from my scraps. It was hard to make a decision about the solids with which to pair them.

I am usually drawn to prints that have many colors and shades and mostly steer away from monochromatic prints.  Floral fabrics always call my name from the shelves in the quilt shops. I had a huge stash of florals from the time I made colorwash quilts. I decided to use them all up and I did pare that down to almost nothing and I have missed them every since.

These are not my favorite blocks either but I will also use them. They will probably play nice with the more flamboyant "Divas".



I usually wait until the body of the quilt is sewed together before deciding on the border.  I may use a solid red for a narrow inner border and a scrappy pieced, random strip, piano key border.
That has been in my mind from the beginning. We'll see.

No comments: