Friday, July 19, 2019

New Blocks

I finished 9 more blocks yesterday. I am working a little faster since I got things organized better. I started out making one or two blocks at a time. I usually work that way and then decide how to be efficient. I cut all the strips in the lengths I would  stitch together and paired everything up so now I don't have decisions to make for every block.   That seems elementary, and it is, but I don't have many big blocks of time anymore. It just takes me longer to get to the efficiency mode.

These are all nine new blocks.





 I was looking for something in 3 baskets I have on the top shelf of the bookcase and found the prints that I used here. They were bundled up as projects that I started as something to work on when I met with friends. I had no specific plans for them and there was almost no progress made on any of them (I was always too busy talking to get anything done.) so they just got set aside. 
While I was taking the bundles apart and cutting for these blocks, I also cut for Donna Poster blocks and double or triple 4 patch blocks. I put a few blocks from those bundles in my "odd blocks box"

I found enough fabric in those bundles to make more blocks of  these prints I had already used.





I have 65 blocks now and 34 to go for a full size quilt. I found working on 9 blocks at a time was tedious, Maybe I like the diversion of making fabric choices. I think I will cut that down to 4 or 5 blocks at a time. As a diversion, I might start sewing some of  the strips together for the borders. Or, I might get out one of my portable design boards and lay out some Donna Poster blocks. There are a lot of decisions and agonizing of fabric choices to be made for those projects.
Efficiency serves a purpose but sometimes it gets boring.    

2 comments:

Kim said...

The solid materials seem to be "floating!" I agree with your idea of efficiency being boring, but it does help you see progress in a project!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You are making great progress on your framed 9 patch blocks. I think this is my favorite of Lynn's quilts after the postage stamp quilt and I'm so happy she inspired us to make one too.