Saturday, June 29, 2019

26 Blocks

I now have 26 blocks. They don't take a lot of time to sew but it seems that I can't get more than 2 pairs done in a day.  Nevertheless, I am making progress.   

These are the 9 locks I finished in the last 2 days. The all measure exactly 8 inches square though the photo doesn't look like it.

I am missing photos of 4 more blocks. I had 13 in my last post and now I have 26. I thought I had shots of all the new blocks........ oh well, I guess not.














Here are all 26 blocks. The more blocks I make the better I like them. I can't believe that I have usually avoided solid colors in my quilts except for narrow inner borders or sashing.

After I had a few blocks finished to put up on the wall, I thought I would have to make sure that I had a fairly equal number of each solid color. With a small number of blocks the yellow seemed to stand out too much. With more blocks that no longer seems to be a problem. I am beginning to think that there are not going to be a lot of  picky rules about the final layout.  I am also finding that I don't have to agonize over each choice of the solid color to go with the prints; the solid only needs to contrast enough to show up well.  This shot of all the blocks doesn't show the contrast as much as the ones in the collage of the newest blocks; in real life the colors of all the fabrics are much more vibrant.. Blame the photographer!

I am already starting to cut solids and prints for Double 4 Patch blocks. I have had a long love affair with the Triple 4 patch quilts and I have made at least 3 for myself (which have somehow all found new homes). I made many blocks for the monthly request for members of the Friendship group. I cut leftover fabrics for the blocks all the time and I have a box of squares cut for Triple 4 Patch blocks and instead of making the smallest 4 patches with black/dark and white fabric, I will use 2 1/2 inch squares in a variety of solid colors.

No comments: