Thursday, June 13, 2019

OOPS!

Our quilt group at church met last Saturday and I brought home some odd sized/shaped pieces of fabric to cut into squares and strips. This time I am concentrating mostly on 6 inch squares trying for multiples of 4 or more  that will coordinate for large 9 patch blocks for quilts that will go to Jamaica. I was able to use some of the small scraps from cutting for the Donna Poster blocks and 8 inch Framed 9 patch  blocks.

Today, I made these 2 blocks with smaller odd pieces of one purple print and some of my own solids.


Oops!
I made the one on the right first and I didn't like it as well as I thought I would. I had enough small scraps to make another with a different color solid; when I compared them I saw my mistake. I hesitated to fix it because it meant unsewing 5 seams and moreover the block had measured a perfect 8 inches.  I had lunch and did the dishes and came back to my sewing room and picked up my seam ripper and I did it!

I was bothered enough to know that if I waited to do it and forgot and sewed it into the quilt I would end up taking it out and it would be more work in the end. It went together almost as perfectly with about 1/16 of and inch space where  the side strip was sewn on. Because it is not on the corner it will not be a problem.

The background purple is really dark but it comes across as purple and not navy.  I was happy to  be able to use the small scraps because my own stash is not heavy on purple.

These are some of the 6 inch squares I cut. The unicorns were pretty far apart as were the bunnies and birds so I only got 2 unicorns and the bunny square is only 4 1/2 inches but it can go into Donna Poster scrap blocks that is kind of an ongoing project..
I think the purple shows up a little better in this photo because I found some dark gray fabric to put beside them.

I will be making more of the Framed 9 patch blocks. I love the way they look in the quilts on Lynn Dykstra's blog. The solid fabrics in the blocks add cohesiveness even though the solids and prints as all different.
After I cut the rest of the 6 inch squares for our church group I will  get back to some sewing of my own again. 


No comments: